Monday, February 12, 2007

News from the English 101 think tank

I'm sitting here watching "Sir, No Sir" (website: http://www.sirnosir.com/), a film about soldiers' dissidence during the U.S. inolvement in the Vietnam War. This is a very intense and educational film, folks. I know that what you're going to be writing about is perspectives on Iraq, but I would not rule out, for anyone interested, using this film as a source for making connections between the some current day soldiers' perspectives of the Iraq war with the soldiers who dissented during the Vietnam War. I cannot make the point enough, that this is a very in-depth report (of course, with a particular perspective!) about anti-war activism within the service. [This just in: A showing of this film will be aired at WCC in Heiner 208 next Thursday, Feb 22nd.]

On another front, Thursday evening, at a private home in Bellingham, there will be a screening of the current documentary, The Ground Truth (also available on DVD, I believe). I haven't seen it yet, but it is about the current situation in Iraq, and will be followed by letter writing to state representatives. This, of course, would give you an opportunity to not only watch the film with others, but to interview them about their views for your essay. So, if you're interested, let me know and I'll tell you how to sign up.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

I liked this post very much as it has helped me a lot in my research and is quite interesting as well. Thank you for sharing this information with us.
Help With Persuasive Essay Topics